Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Country Music with a Twist

OK so maybe I have a soft spot for country music but I have liked Gretchen Wilson's music for years. It's raw and more like the outlaw country that I grew up listening to. Don't get me wrong or label me because I like all kinds of music and my IPOD says so. But like any of us, I have made that connection with certain artists. my favorites? Now, don't laugh. Kiss, Motley Crue, ACDC, Elvis Presley, all of the fifties music, The Mamas and the Papas. Abba, Shania Twain, the list is endless but all in all there are some that I listen to more than others and Gretchen Wilson is in my top 10.
Tour truck-"I've Got Your Country Right Here"


So last night I got the chance to see her live for the first time in Napa with Autumn. We had great seats in the third row and I really didn't know what to expect.

I had read in some online articles that she is a pistol who chews tobacco and will take a drink or two of whiskey on stage. Then there is her celebrity persona of being tough. I had prepared myself for an interesting time and I wasn't disappointed.

The opening act, Four Year Bender was from San Francisco and I liked their combination of southern rock with country. I wouldn't mind purchasing one of their CDs at a later date.

Gretchen Wilson performs in Napa.
But when the set was changed and Wilson took the stage, it was all Wilson.

First off she made it a point to introduce her album cover and announce that she was the proud owner of her own record label, Redneck Records. She then pointed out that her album cover, unlike those of other female country artists did not feature her face smiling.

"I don't have to do those things anymore," she triumphantly told the crowd. And then she unleashed the hurricane.

From start to finish, she never missed a beat or note for that matter. She sang her hits and impressed with her ability to sing Rock and Roll.

Starting with "Here for the Party," Wilson went on to sing songs from her new album and then thrilled the crowd with a little Journey by singing, "When the lights Go Down in the City." She then reverted back to some older hits including "There's a Place in the Whiskey." and 'Homewrecker," before turning on the steam again for some more Rock and Roll.

At one point she did take a swig of whiskey proclaiming, "Hello Old Friend."
Wilson talks with the crowd.


For the 300 or so that showed up to see her, Wilson spoke as if she was speaking to each and every one of them and the audience responded accordingly. During many songs, people were dancing in the aisles.

With an incredible vocal range. Wilson sang each and every song with intensity and feeling. She is one of the few artists that I have seen over the years that sounds just like she does on the CDs. Very impressive.

The time flew by fast and before anyone realized it, Wilson and her band had exited the stage. After a few minutes Wilson did reappear and asked the audience, "Now you didn't think I'd left you did ya?" and the broke into "Redneck Woman." Everyone was on their feet, singing along and dancing.

All too soon she ended the show with one of her newer songs.

Would I travel to se her again/ Yes! It was a great show and well worth the money and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment